Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A Lurking Raspberry PI 2

I have been playing with the Raspberry PI 2, connecting a PI Camera and Servos to it. To provide articulation, I used an optional 12" Camera Cable for the connection.

After several hours of research I have figured out how to capture and stream images. Recently I have also figured out how to use the Servos Hat (servo adaptor board) via the Adafruit's I2C Libraries.

So with the combination of Camera and Servos, I now have a "Lurking Raspberry PI".

 I have bits and pieces of programs to control the camera and adjust the servos over the Internet, I just need to assemble the pieces together for a convenient Internet controlled system. Most of the programming will be in python, as contributed libraries are readily available.

The Raspberry PI is currently tethered via a Network Cable, and Power Cord.  But, by adding Wheels, (a big) Battery, and WIFI, is should be able to roam as desired.

My goal is complete control from my Tablet (and from any place on the Internet). Currently, simple Servo Commands can be sent via "ssh" and "telnet" on a private Public IP Address, Private Port, and Private Password. Video is also streamed to a Browser, with and a similar network connection. When completed, a single interactive Web Browser session will control the Camera Servos and future Wheel motors.

One of my goals is to, make the "Lurking Raspberry PI" available to the public with limited control, but that will be in the future.

Raspberry PI 2

I added the Servo Hat, and of course the Adafruit Case was full.

Full Case

Note: it appears that I did not have the Raspberry PI completely snapped in place.

There is not a space to mount the Camera and the Case Lid no longer fit on. So, I cut the bottom out of another one of a Ladyada's cases, which with just a little cutting and adjusting fits perfectly stacked (it almost snaps together). But it may not be an easy task for someone with two left (or right) thumbs. To make things easier, I believe Ladyada is planning an extension case similar to this.

Stacked Cases, The Bottom was Removed from Top Case

The removed (cut out) bottom is being used as an insulator between the Raspberry PI and the Servo Hat, otherwise the Servo through hole pins touch the metal HDMI connector, and it helps stabilize the Hat without special screws and spacers. The Nibs were left on the plastic to help hold-up the far side of the Servo Hat. A slot was cut to accommodate the Camera Cable.

Salvaged Case Bottom

The Two Ganged Servos are mounted on the Case cover.

Servos Mounted

The Case is closed and the Camera is installed, now it is almost ready for Action. The Bands ensure that it does NOT spring apart, and provides anti-skid feet.

Ready For Action
It's Lurking, . . . at me?

It looks like I could have use a little shorter 8" Camera Cable, but 12" Camera Cable will work fine.

More details of this project will follow, I plan to post some photos and/or captured video.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment