Sunday, October 2, 2011

Decoding a Rotary Encoders

Decoding a Rotary Encoder is more difficult to use than I had thought. My test environment for the encoders is as described in the previous post.

A google search found several articles describing the problem, suggested solutions all seem to be less than optimum.

More coding, breadboarding, and research is necessary.

One problem may be that I am using less then optimum quality encoders, they were purchase on ebay for about $1.60 each. A quick search of Mouser Catalog lists many similar parts at the same price. Each have the same 20 (or so) pulses per revolution. Expensive (>$50) optical encoders typically have many more pulses per revolutions (>128) and therefore should provide more resolution. I don't think my projects require that much resolution (or expense).

I am going to check my car radio's volume and channel controls,  they seem to feel right and would be usable for most of my projects.

Of course, this is all necessary if the encoders are to be used in my future QRP projects. I am sure there is a workable solution, I just have not found it, yet!


UPDATE
My car radio Volume control appears to be an analog pot, with 32 indents over its range (about 300 degs). The Channel control appears to be an continuous rotating encoder with 16 detents per revelation, which is less than the 20 detents per revolution of encoders that I purchased.

-

No comments:

Post a Comment